But I hate them. With a passion. But why? Well, I'm here to tell you! In bullet points, no less!
- Chickens are ugly. Sure, there are a couple pretty species, but most of them are just ugly.
- They're dirty. Chickens poop everywhere. If they're allowed to roam free, they will poop on anything and everything in site. Cars, furniture, golf bags. You name it. If they can perch on it, they can poop on it. They'll even perch on and poop in their food and water dishes. Nasty things.
- They're mean. 95% of the chickens I've met have nasty personalities. Especially the roosters. My aunt is terrified of them because they used to attack her every time she went into the cage. And they follow you around if they know you have food and attack if they see an opportunity to get it.
So in honor of my love/hate relationship with chickens, here's a recipe for you. It's called Christmas Chicken, but you can eat it any time of the year.
20 baby carrots
2 small onions, quartered
1 lb red potatoes, chunked
1 orange, cut into wedges
1 3-lb chicken
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Spread vegetables and orange evenly in roasting pan. Place chicken over vegetables and drizzle with olive oil. Rub oil into and under the skin, then sprinkle with rub. Don't forget to season the cavity! Place some veggies and an orange wedge into the cavity.3. Place the chicken into the oven. After 15 minutes, lower temp to 375. After another 15 minutes, remove the bird and flip it over. Cook another 15, then flip it back over. Return to oven for last 15 minutes. Check temperature and cook another 15 minutes if necessary.
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Mix all ingredients.